The Mustang was originally designed to use the Allison V-1710 engine, which, in its earlier variants, had limited high-altitude performance. It was first flown operationally by the RAF as a tactical-reconnaissance aircraft and fighter-bomber (Mustang Mk I). The addition of the Rolls-Royce Merlin to the P-51B/C model transformed the Mustang's performance at altitudes above 15,000 ft, allowing the aircraft to compete with the Luftwaffe's fighters. The definitive version, the P-51D, was powered by the Packard V-1650-7, a license-built version of the Rolls-Royce Merlin 66 two-stage two-speed supercharged engine, and was armed with six .50 caliber (12.7 mm) M2/AN Browning machine guns.
This kit re-creates the P-51D in a convenient 40-size kit.
- Sport performance, scale detail and easy assembly all in one kit
- Based on the Ultra-Sport 40's proven symmetrical airfoil, the P-51D offers correct wing and power loadings for stable, low-throttle flight
- At full throttle, the P-51D performs high-speed passes and other impressive maneuvers
- Wing guns, exhaust stacks, landing gear doors, decals and more give the P-51D the formidable look of the original
- Wingspan: 57 in (1450 mm)
- Wing Area: 580 in² (38 dm²)
- Weight: 6 lbs (2720 g)
- Wing Loading: 24 oz/ft² (73 g/dm²)
- Fuselage Length: 50 in (1270 mm)
- Requires: 2-stroke .40-.46 or 4-stroke .60-.70 engine, 4-5 channel radio (5-channel for use with optional retracts) & 2+ rolls MonoKote